Sunday, March 11, 2012

Music received from Vermont: Garth Green - Off the Map

Garth says: I was born in Port Chester, New York in 1961. I grew up in New York's Hudson Valley Region, and now reside in the great state of Vermont. At the age of nine I studied classical guitar for three years with Vladimir Bobri, (former President of "The Society of Classical Guitar" and personal friend of the master, Andres Segovia). Since then I have focused on improvisation and creating my own instrumental compositions. 

As a teenager, I was interested in Pop, Acoustic and East Indian music. I was especially drawn to the music of Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Crosby Stills Nash and Young and The Beatles. My music combines classical, jazz and folk influences to create a melodic mellow sound with wide appeal. I use finger-style and flat-picking techniques on six, twelve and nylon string guitars. 



My latest project, "Off The Map", features original compositions using sampled loops and drum beats layered with 6 and 12-string acoustic guitars, mandola, electric bass and classical guitar. Some spoken word has been thrown into the mix to create a story line or atmosphere. This album is a musical journey that begins with the desire to escape the everyday grind. The journey continues, exploring beautiful environments, fantasies and familiar experiences. It then takes the ultimate leap “off the map” and arrives in a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment